Sunday, January 20, 2008

OH YEAH ABOUT THE CONTEST.

Late last year I ran a contest that asked elected officials to submit there best budget cuts. I did not get any submissions. I then opened it up to anybody with an idea. Nada again.

I saw something in the paper today that reminded me about this failed contest. I saw a good example of a budget cut item.

Keyport received a grant worth over half a million dollars to redo the facades of businesses in it's business district. They received additional grant monies for people to fix up the outsides of their houses and get reimbursed for things like paint.

Now not to pick on Keyport because I am sure they are not the only town getting money like this but why in in the world are my tax dollars being used to fix up private property in Keyport or anywhere else for that matter.* If our State was in good fiscal shape this would be an outrage. In this economic climate it goes beyond outrage.

Why are your taxes high? There is the answer. Because our government insists on sticking it's nose and our dollars where they do not belong. Any State politician who voted for this does not deserve to be re-elected even if it was buried in the spending bill.

There is the first half a mill to cut from the disgustingly bloated budget.

*My apologies to Keyport for the fact that they happen to be a convenient example for a diatribe. I like Keyport, but you happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home