Wednesday, April 16, 2008

In Defense of Anonymity

We anonymous bloggers take a lot of grief for being anonymous (usually from an anonymous poster... go figure). As I near the end of my career as an anonymous blogger I feel the urge to address this issue.

Anonymity in political commentary has a long and prestigious history. many of our founding fathers engaged in it and some were also the victims of it. Alexander Hamilton and James Madison were particularly adept at it and in fact wrote there defense of the proposed Constitution anonymously.

The Supreme Court has recognized that the right to engage in anonymous speech is protected by the First Amendment. With out this the free exchange of opinion would suffer.

Why would someone be anonymous? Political opinion often engenders strong feelings. Some people feel that anonymity protects them and there loved one from retaliation.

Some people work for companies who just do not like controversy and would be upset if one of there employees was an Internet blogger with controversial opinions. This is especially true with regard to the Internet where a comment can travel around the world and live forever.

Of course some opinions are so controversial that they could subject a person to physical violence.

some people feel ,whether rightfully or not, that their opinion will get more serious consideration if no one knows who they are.

Of course none of this excuses anonymous slander or libel such as falsely accusing someone of criminal or immoral conduct. Nor does it excuse gratuitous name calling.

I will admit I have sometimes come close to the line in voicing my opinion about certain politicians or people involved in politics. Even though those opinions are based on my evaluation of there actions as political figures I sometimes wonder if my harsh words have crossed the line.
Yes I do have occasional pangs of conscience. This has caused me to hold back on occasion. Then again my real persona has never really held back on these opinions. Even though I have not put them in print they are not closely held secrets. Further it can be argued that people entering the political arena must expect to be subject to criticism about there motives.

So this is why anonymous speech though subject to abuse should not be suppressed.

Then again the possibility exists that this is merely a rationalization for cowardice.

What do you the reader think?

Anonymous comments only please.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have always said that hiding behind an anonymous moniker is cowardly. If you are so scared to put your real name to anything you say, then you shouldn't be doing it. Its very easy to attack someone when that person doesn't know who the attacker is. That is also guaranteed by our constitution. To face your accuser. I do not hide from my comments, and as you know, and as you have vilified me a number of times, I stand by what I say. I have taken heat from my own party because of that, and still, I can't seem to wrap my arms around becoming anonymous just to make a point. Its cowardly, that's for sure and anyway you justify it, it can't stand the smell test.

I'm sure you will find some type of fault with this, as you always do, but hey, its who I am. I don't run, I don't hide, and I take the heat. You can't say the same, and neither can Son of Liberty, Honest Abe, Justified Right, and the rest of the bloggers that hide behind fake names.

5:40 AM  
Blogger Art Gallagher said...

As a formerly anonymous blogger, I wholeheartedly support responsible anonymous bloggers and the contribution that they make to the debate.

Most who call anonymous writers cowards do so for their own motives, i.e. they would like to be able to retailiate against unfavorable opinions expressed or discount the ideas written based upon who the writer is.

For me, I never had a person financial or political motive to be anonymous. I respect those who do.

I created "Seward" because it seemed that all except Jim Purcell were anonymous on Honest Abe's blog and that was how the game was being played.

At the time, I was not well known but I was well informed. The speculation over who Seward was quickly gave me an audience and a voice that I don't think I would have had otherwise.

The only thing I really miss about being anonymous is the "Seward Authority" and all the fun I had creating those anonymous characters.

TR, you have been a huge contribution to the debate in Monmouth County, and you will be greatly missed. Sometime, when and if you feel the time is right and you feel safe doing so, please say hello. Otherwise, I will feel I've lost a friend to India or the Amazon or where ever you are really going.

You are always welcome to contribute to MoreMonmouthMusings, anonymous or not.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Teddy Roosevelt said...

No fault Rick.

You might be right

9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...thank you for that TR. I do appreciate it.

10:36 AM  
Blogger Teddy Roosevelt said...

And maybe a little self righteous
;-)

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

See...I knew you couldn't resist.

11:49 AM  
Blogger the inside airbather said...

I don't hide behind anything!

Kisses,

Lisa

4:12 PM  
Blogger Teddy Roosevelt said...

Wow my first post from the inside airbather.

I finally made the big time.

5:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've missed Lisa!

5:31 PM  
Blogger JustifiedRight.com said...

Uh, Mr. Ambrosia, JustifedRight has not only his name but his photograph and a biography on his blog (rather had - no longer blogging).

I don't think that is exactly anonymous.

Teddy - blogging anonymously, or, more relevant – pseudonymously - which is what you and others are doing, simply comes with responsibility.

It is no different than other legally protected rights - its legal until you use it to break the law. So long as you don't commit defamation, give up trade secrets or violate a contract, you should be safe anonymously blogging. That's the same set of rules you have to play by if you are blogging with your real ID - no difference.

However, there is one other point to make. It isn't enforceable in law, but is a matter of civility.

It should be the anonymous blogger's rule to remember when you target an individual over and over, the target will have a legitimate beef that it isn't fair that you get to address his professional/personal life over and over, yet he is disadvantaged in responding. Show restraint with your targets, particularly if the target complains about the unfair advantage, because he’s right you do have one. If you continue pounding the target, the anonymity is just bullying, and cowardly bullying at that.

One last thing - anonymous blogging is legally protected, but not anonymous emails. To contact anyone anonymously is against the law, so be careful.

I hope you keep blogging. If you don’t, hope you come back

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home